Friday 5 October 2012

Good books

I don’t think there is a better time to start the rediscovery of certain passions than autumn. When the streets grow empty and the coldness and rain take hold of the city, there is nothing nicer than to curl up under a blanket with a pot of tea and a good book. I’ve bought many nice books lately, and read only few. Sometimes, the time is just not right for a certain book. Sometimes, I feel like reading a silly chicklit. Sometimes, like now, I feel like reading deep & meaningful literature. Luckily, when I saw my grandmother at the beginning of this week, she gave me some to take home to Berlin. We were talking about Proust, and although I don’t think she has actually read his work, she has her own – English – Marcel Proust: Anthony Powell. He wrote a series of books, supposedly like Proust’s “In search of lost time”.  “A dance to the music of time”, 12 novels, 4 volumes. I started this Wednesday and I’m already way through the first novel, and I love it. It’s written in the most beautiful old-fashioned English, and this first novel is about a boy’s boarding school, one of my favourite literary topics. And for when I’m done, DHL just delivered “The way by Swann’s”, the first volume of “In search of lost time”. In a perfect Penguin edition, by the way. So, if I’m not around, you know where to find me… Up on the couch with the perfect food for some much needed R&R.



2 comments: